July 4, 2012 Leave a comment
7/4/12 – Happy birthday America!
DC is under a heat advisory today but I gotta practice ribs. Here’s the BBQ log for today’s cook.
Did Chicken legs and babybacks. Used the same rub on both
- 3 Slabs of Baby Back ribs
- 5 chicken legs
- 1 Cup Big Time Rub
- 1/2 Cup Sugar in the Raw
Remove underside skin from the ribs.
- 1:15pm – mix sugar with the rub – rubbed both chicken and ribs – cut slabs in half, 3 whole slabs won’t fit on the Big Green Egg.
- 1:30pm start fire – be sure to clean out old ash
- 1:40 pm prepare a foil packet for Apple chips about 2 cups of chips, soak 1 cup in water leave to other dry.
- 1:50pm fire at 300 still need to burn off charcoal smoke – daisy wheel small holes only / close down bottom draft 1/4″ of the screen exposed. (Burn off the charcoal smoke BEFORE adding wood – Do not let the temp get to high, takes a long time to cool down.)
- 2:05pm Charcoal smoke nearly burned off – temp is a little too high still (300 need to get down to about 275)
- 2:05 pm clean grill don’t leave the lid open any longer than needed
- 2:11pm fire down to 270, open bottom draft only slightly
- 2:15 fire took off, up to 350
- 2:20 fire down to 300 – added 4 chunks of hickory and 4 chunks of apple and the foil packet inserted plate setter after that, the fire now down to 225
- 2:50 ribs and legs on fire down to 220 open bottom draft full, try to get to 275 ribs meaty side up
- 3:30 temp up to 275 close the bottom draft halfway
- 4:00 legs hit 150
- 4:50 bones up and chicken at 160
- 5:30 Legs 170 and off
- 5:45 foil wrap honey and brown sugar granny smith apple wedges
- 6:00 return foil wrapped to grill at about 300
- 7:45 off the grill
The legs came out a touch over smoked, but still moist.
Ribs went a little over, falling off the bone, next time only about an 1:15 in foil. Maybe just a touch too much smoke.