September 4, 2010 1 Comment
- 5 cups shredded green cabbage
- 5 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions (1/8″ slice)
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated horseradish, or 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon Creole mustard or other coarse-grained mustard
You’ll need a large bowl to combine both the red and green cabbages, carrots, green onions. in a separate bowl combine the cubed apples and lemon juice, then combine with the cabbage mix.
Combine the vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and whisk to dissolve sugar. Pour the vinegar mixture over the cabbage mixture and toss to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes.
Combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, horseradish, and mustard in a small bowl. Add the mayonnaise mixture to the coleslaw and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to overnight before serving.